I love baking breads of different shapes and types. Well, this has been my first attempt of braiding and it was so much fun and enjoyment while doing. I have used large qty of flour so that i can make two breads. One bread has the stuffing of Macaroni pasta and that was our dinner which was accompanied with a simple tomato soup that i made, and the other bread is Nutella- banana stuffed bread, that was for breakfast for lazy Sunday. Check both the yummies below and enjoy braiding..!!
Pasta Stuffed Braided Bread:
Pasta Stuffed Braided Bread:
- 1 1/2 cup of Maida/APF (all purpose flour)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tbsp yeast
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1/2 cup of warm milk (and some extra for brushing the bread)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil /or any other vegetable oil
For Pasta Mixture Stuffing:
- 1 cup of macaroni pasta
- Sufficient Water to boil pasta
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1/3 cup small chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup small chopped yellow bell pepper
- 3/4 cup small chopped onion
- 1/2 cup small chopped tomatoes
- 3 pods of garlic finely grated
- 2-3 tbsp small chopped fresh Italian Basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano herb
- 1/3-1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp black salt powder
- 1 tsp red chilly flakes
- Black pepper powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together all purpose flour with whole wheat flour, salt and olive oil. Mix well and keep it aside
- In a small bowl pour warm milk and mix it with sugar and instant dry yeast. Stir and keep it aside atleast for 10 minutes or until mixture turns frothy.
- Once the yeast mixture in a small bowl turns frothy, add the same in flour mixture.
- Add water slowly gradually to form a dough. Knead for 5-6 min or until smooth, soft and elastic but a non sticky dough.
- Grease the dough with oil and cover the dough loosely with a plastic cling film and allow it rise in a warm place, until it doubles in volume (approx 1hr- 1hr 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile prepare pasta stuffing..
For Pasta Stuffing:
- Chop all the ingredients listed above for making pasta stuffing..
- In a small pan, pour sufficient amount of water for boiling pasta and let it boil.
- Meanwhile in another pan, heat oil or butter, add small chopped onion and finely grated garlic. Saute it for a while until onions are translucent and soft.
- Now add small chopped red and yellow bell pepper, small chopped tomato, black salt, dried oregano chilly flakes and shredded cheddar cheese. Mix all well until cheese melts.
- Now drain water from the boiled pasta. Add those pasta in a pan mixture and cook further for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and sprinkle those small chopped fresh Italian Basil on top. (Sprinkling fresh chopped basil lastly, will keep its aroma and taste more alive).
- For braiding and stuffing:
- Now come back to dough.
- Punch the dough down which has rised and doubled in volume.
- Sprinkle some flour on a work surface and bring the dough down there. Knead for few seconds.
- Divide the dough in two equal dough balls and keep the other aside.
- Roll the dough ball with a rolling pin in a large square shape
- With Pizza cuter or a sharp knife, make cuts 1 inch apart on the sides of the long rolled dough as shown below and spread the stuffing in centre
- Alternately, cross the strips over the stuffing and seal the ends and edges slightly to avoid stuffing coming out.
- Carefully lift the braided bread and place it on baking tray dusted with flour.
- Cover it lightly and allow it rise for about 30-35 minutes.
- Prehaet the Oven at 200 degree Celsius.
- Brush the rised braided bread with milk and bake it for 22-25 minutes in preheated oven.
- Once done, bring out and allow it to cool on wire rack
- Slice and serve..!!
Nutella Stuffed Braided Bread
Nutella-Banana Stuffed Braided Bread
Above half dough ball
1 cup Nutella
3 medium ripe bananas
Milk for brushing the dough
- As described above, follow the same pattern.
- Simply roll the dough in to a rectangle, make cuts 1 inch apart on the sides of the long rolled dough, spread nutella and banana in the center and cross the strips over the stuffing and seal the edges.
- Carefully Lift the dough and place the same in a baking tray dusted with flour.
- Cover it and allow to rise for 30-35 minutes, brush the rised bread with milk and bake for 22-25 minutes in preheated oven at 200 degree Celsius.
- Slice and Enjoy with cup of hot coffee..!!